The University of Texas Medical Branch Research Operations Manager - Research Services in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience and five years of experience in research financial management. JOB DESCRIPTION: To serve as a primary source of expertise, training, and education in matters relating to government regulation of externally funded research to the UTMB research community on behalf of the offices of research services. Department Marketing Statement
Research Services: In our commitment to the generation, dissemination and application of knowledge to improve the health of society, UTMB's Research Services supports and promotes institutional excellence in research by providing services that enable UTMB research faculty to enhance competitiveness in obtaining external funding. Services are provided throughout Research Services by Sponsored Programs, Research Education, Research Compliance and Reporting, Research Subject Protections, Animal Resources Center, and Research Technology Support.
From $69,353.00 To $72,000.00 Annually
Specific Job Related Duties
- Guides and facilitates the pre-award and contract analysts in various aspects of the proposal preparation and submission phase, including interpretation of the sponsoring agency’s guidelines, budget development, coordination of required approvals, and regulation and compliance requirements and with contract negotiations Manages and monitors the daily activities and deadlines of sponsored program and contract analysts.
- Ensure analysts analyze and evaluate contract and grant budgets for correct calculation of expenditure categories such as salaries, percent of effort, salary adjustment increases, fringe benefits, indirect costs, materials, and equipment.
- Ensure analysts furnish accurate information and guidance to PIs regarding grant applications, deadlines, and formats for proposal writing. Assists PIs with completing non-routine grant and contract proposals. Conducts quality assurance reviews of data, identifies errors or missing information and takes necessary corrective action steps. Acts as problem solving resource for analysts to ensure accurate compliance with federal, state and institutional policies.
- Knowledge and understanding of pre-award requirements, government relations and principles applicable to contracts and grants.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, to work independently, to maintain confidentiality, and to take initiative to improve upon current operations.
- Ability to work in an unusually fast pace environment, and handle multiple deadlines and tasks with diplomacy under pressure. Must be able to act on critical issues in an independent manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to develop and maintain cooperative and productive working relationships with colleagues, faculty, and representatives of various organizations and agencies. Excellent judgment, independent creative problem solving skills.
- Manages and monitors daily activities of sponsored program specialists, clinical trial specialists, accountants, financial analysts, and supporting staff.
- Advises staff in consulting with Principal Investigators and departmental administrators on fiscal responsibilities and project timelines.
- Ensures specialists and financial staff are knowledgeable on all types of awards and general terms and conditions for proper grant administration, and the structure and practices of various sources of research grant funding.
- Acts as problem solving resouce for staff to ensure optimal service to research community and accurate compliance with federal, state, and institutional policies.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Research Operations Manager - Research Services
Job ID: 61457
Business Unit: RSRCH