The University of Texas Medical Branch Research Associate II -Biochemistry & Molecular Biology in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications Bachelor's degree in basic science or equivalent and 2 years of related experience or Master's degree in basic science or equivalent and no experience required. JOB DESCRIPTION: Performs a variety of routine and non-routine research assignments and experiments and assists with lab maintenance responsibilities. Salary Range
$33,760 to $42,200 annually, commensurate with experience.
This position is in the pay band code: SC14.
Specific Job Related Duties
The purpose of this position is to assist in the preparation and analysis of samples submitted to the Mass Spectrometry Core Facility (MSF) at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB). The MSF is a fee-for-service provider of analytical chemistry services to the UTMB research community, and provides pharmaceutical, proteomic, and metabolomic analyses using state-of-the-art Liquid Chromatographic Mass Spectrometry (LCMS) and subsequent MS data interpretation. We are looking for curious and motivated individuals with strong backgrounds in sample preparation methods to fill a Research Associate II position; candidates with B.S., M.S., or Ph.D will be considered based upon practical experience. The position will be part of a high-energy, cutting-edge Mass Spectrometry Core Facility team.
The incumbent in this position will be primarily responsible for preparing samples from a variety of complex biological sources, quality control of sample preparation, and routine maintenance of several HPLC systems. The position will require performing sample preparation of proteins and/or small molecules from gels, solution phase, and from biological matrices (cells, tissues, serum, etc.) prior to MS analysis. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. In addition, the incumbent is required to keep a detailed laboratory notebook, contribute to general orderliness of the laboratory and support lab health and safety compliance. The incumbent will be required to write a variety of technical and/or project reports as well as document newly developed methods.
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- Under general supervision, performs routine and non-routine research assignments and experiments of moderate complexity.
- Plans, coordinates, provides setup and conducts standard research experiments following general technical instructions.
- Prepares biological assays and conducts quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Perform regular Quality control checks on LC’s, current inventory includes two Agilent 1260 LC’s and 3 Thermo 3000nano RSLC’s
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected and provides preliminary analysis of results.
- Orders consumables, parts and service as required to maintain the Facility.
- Maintains lab inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Makes modifications to research procedures as determined by Principal Investigator.
- Participation in multi-disciplinary research in a collaborative setting.
- Performs related duties as required.
Desired, but not required, skills:
- Protein work, biochemistry, enzymatic digestion, mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, QA/QC, 1D SDS PAGE (polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis), pH meter.
- Operating instruments and assisting with calibration, troubleshooting and maintenance including providing quality control measurements on a variety of MS instruments. Current instrumentation includes: Thermo Orbitrap Fusion, Sciex 5600+ QTOF, Sciex 6500 Qtrap, and a Sciex 5800 MALDI-TOF/TOF
- Analyzing complex qualitative/quantitative proteomic datasets through a variety of software packages (Proteome Discoverer, MASCOT, MaxQuant, Perseus, Scaffold, Skyline, IPA, etc).
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Research Associate II -Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Job ID: 62115
Business Unit: SOMED