The University of Texas Medical Branch Educational Specialist - Institute for Translational Science in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications Bachelor's degree or equivalent and 2 years of related experience. JOB DESCRIPTION: To design, develop, evaluate, and deliver face to face and web-based language instruction at all levels of UTMB and to UT system students. Salary Range
From $51,200 To $64,000 Annually.
Specific Job Related Duties
Works as a member of a team to provide coordination of all phases and activities associated with The Institute for Translational Sciences’ Education Office (EO). Educational Specialist (ES) must be able to meet deadlines, coordinate multiple projects at once, and adapt to changing assignments and priorities.
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
- As a member of the ITS Education Office, the ES is a (and often the) point of contact for prospective and current students, trainees and scholars regarding information on formal education programs (i.e., Institutional degree-granting and/or NIH-supported training programs), the ITS, UTMB Schools, and admission processes.
- The ES provides administrative support for ITS training programs, faculty, and students/trainees/scholars
- The ES assists the ITS Education Office (EO) Director, EO Manager and Graduate Program Directors
- The ES is the administrative link between the ITS training programs and UTMB schools, Enrollment Services (ES) and UTMB Schools.
With respect to the ITS education program(s):
Provides support to Faculty and ITS administrators regarding formal training programs
Provides support for committees related to ITS education programs
Manages special projects related to education and training programs
Manages promotional material for the programs and prospective students (Open House, website, newsletter, marketing, etc.)
Provides organizational and administrative support for the programs (e.g. schedules meetings and seminars, graduate finances, course calendar, schedules graduate classes, events, room-bookings, e-Calendar, etc.)
Is comfortable working with the Student Information Systems, Financial Information Systems, and Human Resources Information Systems needed for the support of the education programs
Ensures that Listserv messages reach the appropriate audience
Attends regularly scheduled coordinator information sessions given by the Graduate School for Biomedical Sciences (GSBS)
Develops and maintains relationships with faculty, students, course participants, prospective students, and UTMB staff for promoting participation in EO activities.
Maintains records/data, survey creation and deploymentand prepares reports for review and analysis of EOPrograms, courses and seminars.
Assists EO Director, Faculty and Training Manager in oversight and reporting of federal, state andprivate grant funding, including office financial accounts.
With respect to students, trainees and scholars:
- Handles many of the day-to-day details (forms, processes, letters) for student activities, such as:
- Recruitment, Orientation
- Internship placements
- Processing scholarship and other award applications
- Stipend and award payment
- Program and course registration
- Reform Degree audits
- Scheduling PhD Dissertation and Masters degree Thesis Defenses, Qualifying Examinations and candidacy applications
- Processing grades, thesis submissions, failures, degree audits, convocation lists
- Entering and changing grades
- Helping students/trainees/scholar with questions about education program requirements, procedures, etc
- Helping students/trainees/scholar identify appropriate resources, or referring them to the Program Directors, if problems arise
- Keeping students informed of deadlines, changes in regulations, etc.
With respect to faculty members:
- Serves as point person and information source for all University and departmental policies and procedures relevant to graduate education and ITS training programs
- Supports faculty with regard to education program activities (admissions, funding forms, etc.)
Monday-Friday 8a-5p; Position may require 2-3 hours per week of early evening work hours and occasional weekends.
Bachelors degreeand 3 years related experience. Masters Degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Education Administration or other educational related field preferred.
Effective interpersonal & customer service skills, ability to manage multiple projects at same time
Preferred Work Experience
Knowledge of modern developments, trends, principles, practices and theories ineducation and educational assessment, accountability, or evaluation specialty area.
#rsrch #prof #admin
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Educational Specialist - Institute for Translational Science
Job ID: 62086
Business Unit: SOMED