The University of Texas Medical Branch Animal Research Bio Technician in Galveston, Texas
Min Qualifications High School or equivalent. AALAS LAT certified or exam eligible (must successfully pass exam within 6 months of start date). Minimum of two years experience working in an animal facility or validated completion of the military occupational school (MOS: 68T Animal Care Specialist). This position requires DOJ clearance within six months. Job Description: Within a biocontainment environment, provides for the research and veterinary support of laboratory animals in a humane, safe and sanitary manner using appropriate equipment and established procedures up to ABSL4. Salary Range
- Commensurate with experience
- This is a band code: CS13
Specific Job Related Duties
Specific Job Related Duties:
- Maintains qualifications to enter ABSL2, ABSL3, and ABSL4
- Performs veterinary functions utilizing bio-hazardous substances.
- Assists in compilation of statistical data and engages in long-range planning of research support.
- Maintains knowledge of biohazard operations and systems.
- Determines appropriate animal housing systems according to specific regulations within a biocontainment environment.
- Maintains an animal space allocations IAW regulatory statues
- Assists principal investigator and/or veterinarian(s) in preparation of a technical/surgical procedure(s), and may assist in procedure if required.
- Provides daily husbandry care including feeding and sanitation for multiple small and large species as directed.
- Participates and assists in animal health checks.
- Collects samples and processes diagnostic tests.
- Monitors and cares for pre-operative and post-operative veterinary patients.
- Performs anesthetic induction, maintenance and monitoring.
- Provides aseptic surgical support.
- Cleans and sets up operating room and surgical packs.
- Operates and maintains medical and surgical equipment.
- Exposes and develops radiographs.
- Maintains surgical and veterinary records.
- Performs technical support with all levels of containment
- Effectively and professionally communicates with veterinarians, leadership, and research staff.
- Adheres to internal controls established for department.
Equal Employment Opportunity UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Regular
Job Title: Animal Research Bio Technician
Job ID: 61025
Business Unit: RSRCH